Jaxson’s Arrival

I finally have a few minutes to sit down and take a breather, so I wanted to write about the events leading up to our little man Jaxson ending up in our arms 2 weeks early. πŸ™‚

It was Thursday, January 31, 2013, at 4:45 a.m., and I was sleeping. J had gotten up to go to the bathroom and all of a sudden, I hear her say (not yell, not scream, just quietly say) “Baby, something happened.” I awoke and jumped out of bed, nearly tripped over Bubba since he was laying on the floor at the end of my side of the bed, stumbled to the bathroom, and see the look of horror/shock on J’s face. I don’t know why, but I automatically think worst case scenario. She explains to me that she peed, and then when she went to get up, there was a POP and a gush of fluid. She thought she had peed and couldn’t control herself! I had her put on a pad and when she got up, there was a lot of blood, so we knew we had to get to the hospital soon. After nearly passing out and having to sit down with my head between my legs (talk about an adrenaline rush!) we quickly packed her bag for the hospital, grabbed all of Jax’s stuff we had already packed, and loaded up the car. We stopped by our neighborhood Starbucks, which was pretty funny, because they know us there and the guy goes, “You guys are up early today.” I replied, “Well, we’re having a baby!” His eyes go wide and his mouth drops open as he says, “Right now?! And you came to Starbucks!” Our manager friend came to the window to wish us luck and with drinks in hand we stopped by McDonald’s for an egg mcmuffin and headed to the hospital. J was having minor contractions the whole time, but nothing too major or painful yet.

At 5:45 a.m., we were finally at the hospital. It took nearly another hour until we made it to our labor & delivery room and our parents showed up shortly thereafter. Everyone was super excited and anxious and nervous, especially J and I. After all, Jax was coming 2 weeks early and while we were ready for him to be here, were we really ready?!

J was only 1 cm and barely effaced when we got to the hospital. By 10 a.m. she was 3-4 cm and 30% effaced, and frustrated that she wasn’t getting anywhere quickly. She’s not a very patient person sometimes! πŸ˜‰ Dr. Johnson came by and started her on pitocin to get the contractions going more steadily and you could tell by her face that she was definitely starting to hurt. She couldn’t speak through a contraction and they were coming very closely together, so she finally decided to get an epidural. The anesthesiologist came in about 20 minutes later and got her prepped for the epidural and I luckily got to stay in the room with her to hold her hand, because she was super nervous about it. She kept having serious contractions throughout the epidural, he had to use 4 shots of numbing agent, and the epidural kept going to the left side when he was inserting it. She was in excruciating pain and trying to hold in her tears until he was done. Finally, it was in place and everyone stayed out of the room for a while so she could regain her composure. When it finally started kicking in, she was not feeling any pain or contractions, so it was worth it, but it was hell to get it in there.

Around lunch time, J’s mom and cousin Betti ran to Target to do some shopping and her mom picked up the breast pump we had been wanting and waiting to buy. We were so surprised and grateful! They also got us the equipment to store the breastmilk in the freezer and also this yummy honey apple body wash for Jax that we had fallen in love with. During our wait for Jax, J’s mom said the cutest thing as she started crying, “I never thought my gay baby would be having a baby!” How times have surely changed! πŸ™‚

Dr. Johnson came in again and checked on J and then came back around 5 p.m. to let us know that Dr. Connors would be taking over from there. Yes, Dr. Connors made it back in time for Jax to be born! You know we had been waiting for her! πŸ™‚ We were so excited and happy, although Dr. Johnson had been wonderful to us during her time with us and we would have been fine having her deliver Jaxson too. J was finally dilated to 9 cm and 100% effaced. Jaxson was on his way!

At about 6:30 p.m. J was finally dilated to 10 cm and fully effaced. The nurse kicked everyone out except for my mom, me, and J’s mom to do some practice pushes to get ready for the big-time pushing. Our nurse, Angie, was awesome. She was funny and really nice and gave good coaching to J. My mom made me go stand by J’s leg and I got to help hold her leg while she was pushing and be her support. Her mom was at her other side hooting and hollering and going nuts yelling and counting to 10 during the pushes and my mom was wiping J’s face down and telling her to keep her chin down, to which J kept saying NO! and my mom just told her to do it anyway.

We had some funny moments (well, not J!) and laughed at her mom’s porn movie hollerings (Give it to me! Harder! Come on do it!) and finally, after much exhaustion, a little bit of oxygen through a mask, and a lot of pushing, Angie told J to STOP PUSHING! She called for Dr. Connors and J had to push a few more times, until at 8:14 p.m., he popped out and took all of our breaths away. The grandmas were crying, J was crying, and I was crying. We were all just so overwhelmed that it was finally over and he was here! They cleaned him up while J was being sewn up (she had a small tear) and he got weighed and measured. Our perfect little man weighed 7 lb 13 oz and was 20.5 inches long. He had a lot of bruising on his face and back of his head, even his little shoulder, from hitting J’s pelvic bone of his way out. She later said that she could still feel some despite the epidural and that it felt like he kept getting stuck. Because she’d had the epidural, she couldn’t help or move to give him room, so she was really frustrated and upset about that and felt like she had hurt him when he came out all bruised. I assured her that she didn’t do anything wrong and that despite the bruising he was perfect in every little way, from his cute little nose down to his tiny toes. He has J’s chubby cheeks and her fingers, but he’s got my weird-shaped elf ear and my nose. We did good baby-making! πŸ™‚

We spent the night with our little guy, just holding him and marveling at the fact that we are finally moms. We finally went to bed around 1 a.m. Friday morning, which just happened to be our 5th anniversary of being together (yes, we are dorks and still count from that first “Will you be my girlfriend?” moment). I told J how proud I was of her, kissed her goodnight, and said Happy Anniversary to my wife. It was a day I will never forget, and one of the happiest of our lives.


1 Comment (+add yours?)

  1. L.
    Feb 05, 2013 @ 15:33:37

    Congratulations! Wonderful to hear that everything went fairly well and the birth happened within 18 or so hours! It would be interesting to hear your reflections on the hospital-aspect of the birth. Did it go as you expected, or did you expect to be allowed to labor for more than 3 hours in L&D before being put on pitocin to amp up the contractions?

    All the best and hope you are enjoying your darling little one.


Talk To Me!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: