At 8:14 pm tonight, Jaxson Bennett turns one year old. J has told me how she’s been really weirded out because she has been feeling pregnant this past week or so (trust me – she’s not!). Funny how her body seems to remember the last time she was pregnant and is mimicking it a year later!
I’m a mix of emotions here at the end of Jaxson’s first year:
- Sad because our baby isn’t a baby anymore, but a full-on toddler – oh boy!
- Disbelieving because how the heck is he already turning one?! Where did the time go?
- Excited because it is another year to watch him learn and grow and discover his world.
- Grateful because he is a good boy and he loves his moms a lot – really what more could you ask for?
- Amazed because I still can’t believe fate threw all of us together with a whole lot of love and decided we’d make a great family.
I took a half-day off of work today so that I could spend the afternoon with Jaxson to celebrate his big day. Turning one is a BIG deal and I didn’t want to be stuck at work the whole day! We are picking up a cupcake for him tonight since we still have some running around to do for final preparations for his birthday party tomorrow (get balloons filled, pick up the cake, etc.). We’re giving him our gifts tonight instead of waiting for tomorrow: a sensory toy with different textured fish on it that bubble or play music when you touch them, a Mickey Mouse book that makes noises when you turn the pages or push the buttons, and his “big” gift – a Mickey Mouse ball pit for the patio so he can have something to play with outside.
This past year has flown by much quicker than I ever thought it could. I know, I know, everyone tells you to enjoy it while its here because it will be gone before you know it – and its true. Looking back on the first year of Jaxson’s life, we’ve learned a lot about him and its been fun getting to know our little man. He’s kind, smart, gentle, and loves animals. When you’re upset, he is sensitive and caring. He loves to attack-snuggle Moms and loves hanging in the bed on weekend mornings when Moms don’t have to get up and work. He enjoys a good book and cuddling with his stuffed animals at night. He’s a master of video chat with Nana and looks so much like Papa (especially when they dress alike!), he loves snuggling and napping on Grandma and playing with trains with Grandpa. He lights up when I come home from work every day and if J is away for work travel, he misses seeing her when he gets up from naptime and gets so excited when she comes home in time to tuck him in for the night. His mornings are full of smiles and hugs for Moms. He loves music and singing or being sung to. He loves us and we love him. We’ve dealt with illness, sleepless nights, food allergies, discipline…and learned how to deal with the stresses of parenthood in a positive way. I think we’ve done a good job this first year and I think our boy is off to a great start.
J and I are so blessed to have such a wonderful little boy. Jaxson really does make our world go ’round and I can’t imagine life without him. I can’t believe it was only a year ago that he wasn’t here, and then BAM! he was. It seems like it is too soon for him to be one year old, but at the same time it seems like its taken so long to get to this day. My hope for the next year (and the rest of his life!) is that we continue to nurture him, support him, love him, and make him feel special each and every day, because he is!
Now for the fun stuff – all about Jaxson at 1 year old! 🙂
- Monkey, whom he sleeps with every night and now carries around the house with him during the day
- the color Pink
- Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Sofia the First, Doc McStuffins, Henry Hugglemonster, and Sheriff Callie on Disney Jr.
- Cooking shows like Chopped and Top Chef and Moms’ Sci-Fi/Fantasy shows on TV
- Playing on the big bed (our bed) and morning snuggles on the weekends
- Being scared/startled in a playful way
- Being outside
- Terrapin, our red-eared slider turtle
- Bathtime and brushing his teeth!
Jaxson does not like…
- Cutting new teeth
- Most fruits
- Baby gates/being kept out of places
- Being changed on the changing table
- Being fussed at
Jaxson is good at…
- Singing along to the radio
- Itsy Bitsy Spider (he even does some of the hand motions!)
- Petting our cat, Bubba
- Meeting new people
- Eating “real” food
- Snuggling with Moms
Jaxson is still working on…
- Standing without assistance (he’ll pull up on something and let go to squat, but can’t quite get back up yet without holding on)
- Walking without assistance (he’s down to holding just one of our hands instead of both!)
- Talking (he can currently say: Bubba, Mom/Mama, done, and yeah – plus he’s getting really good at mimicking/repeating us – uh oh!)
Its been a big first year, with many more to come! And we’re so excited to keep watching him grow into the wonderful person we know he will be. Happy Birthday, Jaxson! Mommies love you! 🙂